Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Running (Outdoor vs. Treadmill)

Supposedly running outside is better for you because it is higher impact, you propel yourself, and you get a variety in terms of elevation and scenery. I do feel like my body worked harder after a run outside vs. one after the treadmill. I love the freedom of outdoor running and the change of scenery it provides. However, there are some limitations.

Treadmill running is more convenient. You don't have to leave the comfort of a gym or your home, the climate is controlled (nice thing during the hot AZ summer months), and you can have entertainment like reading or TV while you run. But does your body get the same results from doing a treadmill as opposed to outdoor running?

In any case, I found my love for running about five years ago when I moved to Arizona. It has really benefited my lifestyle after losing 114lbs! It is also a great way to process your thoughts and just get away from all the business in your life. In fact, it can even be fun! I've run three relay races and they are a blast. Someday, I may even do a marathon!

Have fun running!

2 comments:

  1. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! You did not strap your iPad to your arm!? Tell me that is photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfs are a good time! Let me know if you want to meet up for one in the future because they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete